Created by: Kittencal
Recipe #5592 | Created on May 30, 2012
Categories: Comfort Food, Dinner, Main Dish, Beef, Ground Beef, Vegetables, Peppers, Budget-Friendly, Easy/Beginner Cooking, Quick Meals, Game/Sports Day, Sunday Dinner, Weeknight Meals, Oven Bake (more)
Barley Stuffed Bell Peppers
"A KK favorite! I do remember we enjoyed this when I made it, and it's time to make it again! "
- 1 pound ground beef (or can use ground turkey)
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1/3 cup)
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs (see my recipe posted here on this site)
- 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 1/2 cups cooked pearl barley (should measure 1 1/2 cups after cooking)
- 3 large bell peppers, cut in half and seeded (use red or green)
- 1 (26 ounce) jar pasta sauce (I use my own homemade sauce)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
In large bowl, combine uncooked ground meat, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt, pepper, cayenne if using and cooked barley.
Divide meat-barley mixture into 6 portions. Press each portion into bell pepper half, forming mixture to the shape of the pepper. Place filled pepper halves in dish. Pour pasta sauce over peppers.
Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake peppers for 1 hour. Uncover sprinkle each top of pepper with mozzarella cheese (using as much as you like). Return to oven uncovered for another 20 minutes.
TO COOK BARLEY: In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl barley and return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Place any extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze for up to a week. Add to soups, stews, casseroles and salads for extra flavor and fiber. For best results, bring frozen or refrigerated cooked barley to room temperature before using.
- Serving Size: 1 (348.5 g)
- Calories 1072.8
- Total Fat - 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat - 6 g
- Cholesterol - 98.2 mg
- Sodium - 207.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 200.6 g
- Dietary Fiber - 20 g
- Sugars - 2.3 g
- Protein - 34.1 g
- Calcium - 102 mg
- Iron - 6.6 mg
- Vitamin C - 5.7 mg
- Thiamin - 0.5 mg