Created by: acerast
Recipe #1716 | Created on October 30, 2011
Baked Mushroom Squares
"A special side dish to roasted meats. My husband loves this! I wish that I could take credit for this but it belongs to Myra Sable and Colleen Mathieu from Toronto and is from the "Sable and Rosenfeld Cookbook: Our Favorite Recipes". (The authors suggest this be eaten alongside cabbage rolls). "
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (I used half-and-half)
- 1 cup soft, whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 pound mushrooms, finey chopped (button mushrooms or a combination)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Sour cream or yogurt (optional garnish)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
In a small skillet, melt butter. Add onions and saute 10 minutes, or until translucent.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine milk, cream and bread crumbs; let stand for 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350F (180C or gas mark 4). Butter an 8x8 inch baking pan; set aside.
Combine sauteed onion, breadcrumb mixture, mushrooms, salt, pepper and eggs; mix well. Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
Bake for one hour or until toothpick or tester comes out clean.
Cut into squares and serve hot. Nice with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt.
- Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
- Calories 354.3
- Total Fat - 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat - 9.6 g
- Cholesterol - 108.9 mg
- Sodium - 1141 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber - 0.9 g
- Sugars - 1.2 g
- Protein - 15.5 g
- Calcium - 51.4 mg
- Iron - 1.3 mg
- Vitamin C - 4 mg
- Thiamin - 0.5 mg