Created by: ForeverMama
Created on September 5, 2016
Categories: Dinner, Main Dish, Poultry, Chicken, Dairy, Cheese, Mozzarella, Italian, North American, Quick Meals, Entertaining, Weeknight Meals, Oven Bake, Stove Top, Gluten-Free, Make it from scratch, Boneless Pieces (more)
Baked Chicken Parma Rosa - Yankee Kitchen
"This is another one of my Yankee Kitchen recipes given by Carol from Marlow, N.H in 1999 over the Yankee Kitchen radio program on the AM dial, Boston - with a few modifications of my own. I love this dish for the fact that it is soooo easy and quick to prepare for those weeknight meals, plus it's delicious! Carol claimed that this recipe easily doubles and that it is good enough to serve for company where it was always a hit for her and I AGREE!"
|Add to Recipebook||Add Your Photo|
|Add to Menu||Add Private Note|
|Add to Shopping List||Add to Planner|
|Rate / Review Recipe (2)||Send to Email|
|Save recipe / favorites||Print This Recipe|
Prep Time: 15mPT15M
Cook Time: 15mPT15M
Very easy and very tasty. I skipped the optional tomato slices. I have a hard time finding the Knorr sauces which I love, so went online to their site and they have a store finder button. Found them at a grocery a bit out of my shopping range, but.... Read more
- 4 (1 pound) boneless skinless chicken breast (halves)
- 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Kosher or sea salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or oil of choice)
- 1 package (1.3 ounce) pasta sauce (Knorr Parma Rosa Pasta Sauce mix, Refer to NOTE below)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon butter (or margarine)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons onion powder
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper (pinch of use more or less to your liking)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large tomato (to reap 4 slices - optional)
- 4 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese (3 to 4 ounces to reap 4 slices. I sometimes use more for a cheesier finish. A mixture of different cheeses can also be used. I've tried it with a combination of mozzarella / provolone and parmesan)
- Chopped parsley or scallions (1/4 cup of either, (optional)
What You Will Need
No special items needed.
Preheat oven to 375-degrees-Fahrenheit.
Sprinkle chicken breasts with Italian seasoning, salt and ground black pepper (be careful with the sprinkling of the salt as the cheese that is topped over the chicken may add additional saltiness); set aside.
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides, for about 5 minutes. Being careful not to cook the chicken too much because it will finish off cooking in the oven.
Place chicken breasts in an 11 x 17" glass baking dish; set aside.
In the same skillet which chicken browned, prepare pasta sauce according to pkg. directions with the milk and butter given in the ingredients list above, adding the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cayenne, and parmesan.
Pour half the sauce over the chicken. Top with tomato and cheese and the remaining sauce.
Cover and bake in the preheated oven for 10-20 minutes until chicken is tender and cheese melts (or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F [74 degrees C]). (Take in mind that the cooking time depends on the size and thickness of the chicken and for how long it was cooked over the stove-top. I have found that 15 minutes is not enough, but at 18-20 minutes it was perfectly cooked).
Sprinkle parsley or scallions over top, if using.
NOTE: I like to increase the sauce in this recipe by using 2 pkg.'s of the Knorr Parma Rosa because 1 package for my liking is just not enough sauce, especially if serving with pasta. If increasing keep in mind to also increase the ingredients that make part of the sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 (293.5 g)
- Calories 326
- Total Fat - 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat - 8.4 g
- Cholesterol - 307.9 mg
- Sodium - 472.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate - 8.6 g
- Dietary Fiber - 0.8 g
- Sugars - 6.3 g
- Protein - 32.4 g
- Calcium - 420.6 mg
- Iron - 3.4 mg
- Vitamin C - 9.7 mg
- Thiamin - 0.1 mg