New stove: Gas or electric

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

MollyJ

New stove: Gas or electric

Post by MollyJ » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:56 pm

First let me say that I am 58 years old and have cooked on electric stoves all of my life...but...

My last stove has a ceramic top and while I have not bemoaned every day I have had it, it just doesn't heat that well. I tried canning and processing is like a guessing game because it takes so long to heat up a big water bath.

I know the saying is that gas is best but can a 58 year old dog learn new gas stove tricks?

Kchurchill5

Re: New stove: Gas or electric

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:10 pm

Gas is by far the best. And, easy to get used to. ceramic or flat top electric is what I have. HATE IT. But, to change would be very very expensive for me. At my old house I could of gone gas; but, because of permitting, again. COSTLY! Like 4x the cost. So, electric.

I would go gas if you can!

chattes

Post by chattes » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:16 pm

I agree with Kim. Gas is the only way to go if you can.

Deely

Post by Deely » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:38 pm

Another vote for gas here too Molly, especially if you do a lot of canning.
Let us know what you decide. :)

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:22 am

I wouldn't cook on anything but gas. Instant on, instant off. No more waiting for the elements to heat up or cool down. The unit may be more costly initially, but the savings in the long run will more than make up for it. In our area, gas is much cheaper than electric.

MollyJ

Post by MollyJ » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:53 pm

What about the part about me being 58? Can old dog learn new tricks?

Deely

Post by Deely » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:30 pm

MollyJ wrote:What about the part about me being 58? Can old dog learn new tricks?
I'm 63 Molly and it was the easiest transition I've ever made.

ImPat

Post by ImPat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:13 am

I am also 58 and I have cooked with gas, electric and wood and when it comes to stove top cooking I prefer gas but for oven I go electric (I have an electric double oven and gas 5 burner stove top), this way I feel I cover my basis if during a blackout I can still cook on the gas cook top.

Pat

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:03 am

Great idea Pat. I love gas myself,for stovetop cooking, but the lighting of the gas oven scares me. My mom had propane gas and every time it lit I jumped. We have it in our camper and I do the same thing, but that wasn't daily, so it was ok. Propane Gas and the fear of explosion scares me. My current cooking is ceramic top and electric oven. I know its irrational, the way I think but that whoosh sound when my moms oven lighted up, scares me. I had a gas oven for 11 years and never thought about it, it didn't make the sound my moms oven did when she used propane. When you live way out the country in MN, that is what you get. I lived in Atlanta and it was natural gas.

ImPat

Post by ImPat » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 am

We have only had natural gas either piped to the house or using large bottles of gas which are outside the house. In high school our home domestic class had wood, electric and gas ranges so we had the opportunity to try them all out and over the years my parents have had both gas or electric be it stove tops or ovens, but personally I have always prefer electric oven (love my double oven) and gas cook top (5 burner).

A couple of weeks ago there was a write up in the paper about propane gas bottles exploding that were part of one burner stoves and they estimated there were about 50,000 of them in Australia, one was suspected to cause an explosion that killed a man in his tent when camping and there had been reports of other people being injured.

Pat