Labor Day 2014

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Shadows1

Labor Day 2014

Post by Shadows1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:35 am

What are your plans (food included ) for the upcomming holiday!

I am planning on a "Beer In The Butt Chicken" smoked of course!

Kchurchill5

Re: Labor Day 2014

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:23 pm

It's my b'day Sat; so dinner with my son - sushi
Sun, my friends used to throw a party (day early); but, this year they have construction going on - it's a ?? if they will have it. But that was usually the day we cooked out and had a small party
Mon, the beach and waters are packed here - I try to avoid them.

If there is no party on Sun, I will probably smoke a couple of chickens. One for dinner and leftovers; the other, I will cut up in larger pieces for the freezer. And since, I am smoking; probably throw on a couple of onions and peppers on there as well. Also, the whole pieces are great to thaw, and reheat with some BBQ on the grill.

The onions and chicken is great in my wild rice and mushroom soup.

I'm thinking corn on the cob, spud salad, and chicken; or maybe baked beans instead of the salad. I guess it depends what I feel like. Watermelon of course.
------------------
Shadows Beer Butt (can) chicken is always good :D :D :D

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Heading down to our annual Labor Fest on Monday, although this year I'm skipping working the craft show so I can actually have fun. Local bands, local food trucks (as well as standard fair food), beer tent, kids' activities, a classic car show, and free admission to the Gerald R. Ford Presidential museum. All cars, displays, crafts, entertainment, and food is built by, made by, performed by, and celebrates union labor.

The rest of the weekend I'm either helping my niece move into her new house or wrangling her kids so they're not underfoot while she and her husband carry stuff.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Felix, it sounds like a fantastic weekend. I dont blame you for not doing the craft show - just enjoy. I meant to ask how your niece was doing. She had the tests didn't she. Sounds like all is well, I hope.

ENJOY your weekend. Back in MI, we always had a big labor day fair/event/festival of some sorts. Not so much down here.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:14 pm

The MRI showed a couple of problems, but now she's got to go for an EMG to nail down exactly what it is. In the mean time, she's got no choice but to suck it up and keep moving. Kids got permission for a delayed start at the new school to the 15th instead of the 2nd, but they've got to be moved so they can do that.

This is our Labor Fest: http://www.westmichiganlaborfest.com/
(Hopefully that link won't be considered spam, because I'd hate to get banned under a zero tolerance policy for something that is a non-profit, all volunteer, admission-free event I am not a part of organizing or promoting.)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:30 pm

Glad to hear; at least she is dealing with it ... and still going strong.
I think the link is fine; I have done that before. Sounds fun; and ... they have leinenkuegel (sp?) my favorite beer!!!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:It's my b'day Sat; so dinner with my son - sushi
Sun, my friends used to throw a party (day early); but, this year they have construction going on - it's a ?? if they will have it. But that was usually the day we cooked out and had a small party
Mon, the beach and waters are packed here - I try to avoid them.

If there is no party on Sun, I will probably smoke a couple of chickens. One for dinner and leftovers; the other, I will cut up in larger pieces for the freezer. And since, I am smoking; probably throw on a couple of onions and peppers on there as well. Also, the whole pieces are great to thaw, and reheat with some BBQ on the grill.

The onions and chicken is great in my wild rice and mushroom soup.

I'm thinking corn on the cob, spud salad, and chicken; or maybe baked beans instead of the salad. I guess it depends what I feel like. Watermelon of course.
------------------
Shadows Beer Butt (can) chicken is always good :D :D :D
Sounds like you have it all planned right Kim.... Sushi for your Bday (happy birthday BTW), Smoked chicken, Soup, Corn Cobs, Potato Salad and Watermelon for dessert.... I'm spending the weekend with you :lol:

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Great way to gear things up for labor day Lee.

We are at the cabin and all the locals are getting together for a fish fry/pot-luck on Sunday. The walleye and bass have been biting good and we are all getting together to fry some fish and have some good eats along with the fish. I have not yet decided what I am bringing but I am looking forward to it.

I'm Looking forward to hearing about what everyone here at Zazz is up to this coming weekend.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:24 am

Thx QB, I am looking forward to making the chicken; but, I would rather have bass and walleye. I love FL fish; however, I do miss the fish from up north. Perch, walleye and bass are still one of my favorites. Creamed corn, slaw, hushpuppies were always a staple at our fish fries.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:18 pm

Bea the fish fry sounds great! I am also looking forward to seeing everyone's plans and foods!

Happy B'day Kim!