Crockpot vs Zojirushi Cooker

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

CarrolJ

Crockpot vs Zojirushi Cooker

Post by CarrolJ » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:43 pm

Although we have had many starts and stops in this move 200 miles away we are trying to make, it looks like the house might actually close prior to the end of next week. As a result my DH and grandson are working diligently to pack our part of the house.

This has caused a bit of a dilemma for me. I planned on keeping my 2 qt, slow cooker until we left so I could use it here for the easy meals needed here and while we were moving in. It would also have left very little leftovers, which at this point would be a bonus. BUT DH packed it.

This morning I found a number of slow cooker meals using limited ingredients which would work good for those meals. I have a Zojirushi Cooker which I insisted on keeping. It has 2 sizes of pans which fit into it. Very handy because I can pan fry etc. in the less deep one, and make stews, soups, and such in the other one which is deeper.

Because it's lowest temperature doesn't simmer well, I'm wondering if I could use it instead of the slow cooker .

Has anyone made such a substitution in cooking appliances? Note** I cook in our small livingroom and do not have a real kitchen. I currently have a countertop oven, a microwave, and this cooker.

Although we can eat take-out a few days a week, we cannot afford to eat out for all of our meals in the next 2 weeks or so. Because we cook differently than our DD, we choose to eat all weekly meals by ourselves and only eat with the rest of the family on Sundays. (Due to my physical problems we live with our DD and family.)

Kchurchill5

Re: Crockpot vs Zojirushi Cooker

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:36 am

Personally, I haven't had much luck; but, I don't do too much in my crock pot either. Because the cp is such a slow and moist cooking process; I'm not sure how the conversion would work.

Maybe someone else has more experience with this. Sorry, I couldn't help.

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:34 am

I went online to read reviews on the Zorjirushi cooker. I just typed in your title as is...and chose Amazon. They have all sorts of reviews and tips. What I found is that the cooker is great for soups, stews, chili's etc....but if one is cooking a solid piece of meat...there is a way to cook it. You have to read for yourself...as I do not know the terminology they use. Apparently the company have a good customer service for questions.

Sorry I could not be of more help! Good luck Carol! :D

CarrolJ

Post by CarrolJ » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. Since I needed to make the recipe last night and didn't get notification regarding responses until this morning...I actually baked this particular recipe. Unfortunately it turned out to be an extra spicey gloppy dish. DH liked it but I didn't. I was especially turned off since I had DH purchase enchilada sauce instead of making it from scratch like I usually do. It was not a substitute for the way it should have been prepared, I fear. Plus it made my mouth feel like fire! :oops: :oops: :oops:

CarrolJ

Post by CarrolJ » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:12 pm

In answer to Luvcookn...this is the cooker that I have. Zojirushi EP-RAC50 Gourmet d'Expert 1350-Watt Electric Skillet

For using as described it works very well. I have even fried eggs in the smaller one. My only problem is that it blows our electrical circuit if I try to use anything else at the same time. I suspect that is because this house isn't wired for high wattage cooking.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:35 am

I have never used the Zoji cooker. Hadn't ever heard of it honestly. I need to read about it. The slow cooker part, to me is hard to compare to anything since all slow cookers seem to cook differently. Diff temps, etc, depending on how old ones slow cooker is. I recently got a bad review because their steak fell apart. I mean all slow cookers cook differently, people need to take into account how "their" slow cooker cooks before rating a recipe. I mean someone elses 8 hour cooker might be anothers slow cookers 6 hour. Just saying. Hard to rate things such as this. Guess I should add to recipe, first time, watch it to see how quickly or slowly your cooker makes this recipe. Might help! ;)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:11 am

Dis, I so agree. I think that is the hardest thing with slow cooker cooking; or trying to convert recipes. I have 2 pots. A new one and Old one; and OMG, they cook so differently. The same dish is almost 2 hours different. And, I noticed the older one, probably just because it is old. The seal is not as good; so, a bit more liquid evaporates.

It really is hard; and converting the recipes are difficult because the method is so different.