Trader Joes

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

seashell

Trader Joes

Post by seashell » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:17 pm

In 2 months Trader Joes is coming to my area (20 minutes away). I've heard rave reviews about TJs. Any comments? What is a "must have". I'm not crazy about Whole Foods---very overpriced and over rated. Fresh Market is a new store in my area, and quite frankly I was not that impressed. :?:

Laury

Re: Trader Joes

Post by Laury » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:37 pm

When I lived in Century City, CA from 1989-1992 my mother would insist we go there at least once a month so she could send a care package to my sister in FL. I went because many of her ideas would not go over well with my sister so I kind of would quietly and quickly divert her attention to something her family would like.

In 2013 my sister and I went to the one which had just opened in Gainesville, FL. We didn't find anything we hadn't seen somewhere else. Then Trader Joe had a surplus of different things and brought some to the community room of the apartment complex I live in. My husband went up and grabbed several things which we loved. We live in governmental housing so when company have a surplus they often bring it to the community room.

You might want to look it up at TraderJoes and see what they have.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 pm

We don't have one here, but every time my sister goes she gets me every variety of wasabi trail mix or wasabi peas they have. They're all amazing!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:43 pm

TJ's I absolutely love.

Whole Foods, I love. $$$$$$$, I can't afford to buy my food there. Now and then, I do go for a specialty item. They have great food. I can often find things there I can't find at other places. Also, good for catering, when having someone with a food allergy. Lots of choices.

Now, for me, every day. TOO much $$$, and for me, I would rather hit the farmers market. Just my opinion

Fresh Market, same.

Now, TJ's is a bit different. They don't carry those basic every day groceries for the most part. They carry specialized items. I don't go there to get cat food lettuce and TP. I go there go get UNIQUE items. And, I love them.
---------------------------------
I have got seafood, grains, sauces, pastas, breads, frozen items, edamame, salads, etc. An endless list. You really have to go into a store to see everything they have.

Some amazing products, sauces, condiments, frozen items, etc etc etc.
I am sure you will enjoy it.

Just take cash ... because I always spend more than what I plan to

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:44 pm

Felix is right, I get the wasabi peas too; and they have some often edamame mixes too; and nuts.

WolfgirlNV

Post by WolfgirlNV » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:51 pm

I like Trader Joe's - it's a good place to buy healthy and organic food with less of the "hipster" atmosphere. In general they tend to just feel more friendly and approachable. The prices are usually a little cheaper too. I agree that I wouldn't get your day-to-day supplies there, but they have great fresh produce, meat, dairy products and bread.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Yep, it is very unique. But, once you go ... you will see. Lots of variety, unique items, fun things to try. It is just hard to explain. Relaxed, NOT stuffy, comfortable shopping; just take your credit card ... or lots of cash!!!

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:51 pm

There is a tuscan bread I like. They have good prices on cheese. I know they have a lot of freezer food but I don't buy that. But I have heard people like it. They do have some sesame crackers in an oblong package I like to have for hummus. And I think they still have shredded brussels sprouts in the produce section. Sometimes some of their canned items I have bought- trying to recall which ones. I think their saffron prices may have been good, but I usually get that at another place in Cincinnati called Jungle Jim's.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:07 pm

They do have some good frozen items; mixes; and various things to stir fry. I usually buy 1-2 new things every time I go. I am lucky and they are only 10 minutes away.

Misa

Post by Misa » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Two words: chocolate croissants.

They deceitfully look underwhelming out of the box. Overnight rise and baked in the morning...heavenly.