~ Click to Feed the Animals ~

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Gerry

Re: ~ Click to Feed the Animals ~

Post by Gerry » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm

I am sorry to hear about those colds that hang on and on, it seems to be making it's rounds here. I know I have been overdoing but we have such a small window of time to garden. Still a cane Patti, back and knee issues are slowing down the recovery and am told it may take up to a year if I do use that cane on a regular basis. So easy to forget when are busy doing what you love!

Going to be cold tonight which saw me disconnect the hoses and shut of the mains downstairs. For some reason had a hard time getting the back hose off. With plants in the garage and in the greenhouse I am hoping it warms to get that one going again, to not have to rely on watering from the house! Would like to hear more about that Black Garlic, here I had been wanting to get to the Farmers Market for the Purple Garlic. Next year!
Clicking done!

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:54 am

Clicks are in! :O3

My mom had diabetes...and so does my sister. Good for you Judy that you are going to diabetic class. Following a diabetic diet is healthy for everyone.

Pia...black garlic is fermented and we can not get here (where I live) but can get it on the coast. I do not know the cost. Purple garlic is big on flavour but is not a good keeper. We grow hard neck garlic...which is grown in cold climates, planted in the Fall and harvested in the beginning of August. Soft neck garlic is grown in temperate climates like the coast and is planted in the Spring (for harvest the same year).

Yes Gerry...it is that time of year! Fall cleanup!! Not my favvy thing to do as I get older...but good excerise. Do you have any help with the heavy things? Sure hope your recovery will speed up over the winter!!

Enjoy this beauteous Autumn day! :D

muffinlady

Post by muffinlady » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Hmm you all have seen garlic other than small white or elephant I feel deprived

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:49 am

Judy...you might be able to see and buy different kinds of garlic at a farmer's market or a large produce store (maybe in Coos Bay). And maybe in a health food store...as ours bring in fresh odd produce (things you can not buy in a grocery store) during the summer. Things like fresh turmeric corms etc.

Snow is predicted for this morning. We are hanging at zero C (32F) so anything can happen. We shall see!

Wishing you a cozy day! :D

muffinlady

Post by muffinlady » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Next Summer I'll have to try the health food store, rarely get to coos on day farmers market open

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:53 pm

Have had heavy frost the past two mornings. Really cold morning here, see snow predicted for today and tomorrow morning as well. Supposed to warm on Tuesday when I will have to assure the absolute necessities get done. Couldn't help but think dh would have been proud that I got the outdoor water disconnected before freeze up time. It was always his job as was the air conditioner which I must cover before it gets much colder. I am sure I have mentioned how I feel about our long cold winters!

Clicked early this morning. Wishing everyone a great weekend! :)

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:52 am

We did indeed get snow. However...it snowed all day and not alot of accumulation. It rained a wee bit and the snow is still on the ground. Who knows what today will bring.

Yes Gerry...I am sure your DH would indeed be proud of what you have accomplished! I am amazed at what you have done especially after your surgery! Can't keep a good strong prairie woman down! ;)

Have an awesome Sunday! :D

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:21 am

Have a wonderful day! :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:54 am

Start of a new week, we not only missed the snow but afternoons made for warming. Cold this morning, as much as needs doing out there I am not going to tempt fate and see my joints scream! This weekend saw to oven roasting the ripened cherry tomatoes with garlic and peppers for soup. On for this morning one of the soups, your 'Tomato Soup On the Run' Patti. I have been investing in the screw on topped 32 ounce containers, so superior to what I had been using. Soup stays as fresh as the day you make them.

As for garlic I suspect the one I want to fall plant is your hard neck Patti, for me it will mean assuring a trip to the Farmers Market in Regina for next years planting. Do you have Farmers Markets near you Judy? I have to look into the black garlic Pia!

This past while clicking done in the wee hours of the morning. That has to hopefully stop.

muffinlady

Post by muffinlady » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Everyone is busy, fmiy & shampoo carpet, glad Gerry is ready for winter betit feels good