question

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

goldngirl

question

Post by goldngirl » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Hi recipezazz members, this is a silly question but mabey all you foodies here have an answer, I was told that storing potatoes with onions rots the potatos faster, is this true?

phoenix36

Re: question

Post by phoenix36 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:14 pm

This is a first I have heard that I'm not sure if that could be true :?

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:49 pm

It's supposedly true, but I have kept a few potatoes and onions together in a bowl on my counter for a few days with no problems. I think the worst thing you can do is put either of them in the refrigerator because it makes the starch in potatoes convert to sugar and the higher humidity will rot onions faster.
The coolest trick is to use pantyhose to put onions in and twistie them off after each onion is added so they stay separate and then you can just cut off the onion you need.
Potatoes seems to like being stored in a paper bag in a cool dark place free of humidity or mold.
I don't buy so many onions or potatoes at a time that I don't use them up quickly, but I imagine people who garden them and have a crop will give the best advice on storing them for a few months.
Gardeners?

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:35 pm

Legend has it that's true, but I have stored potatoes and onions together since I was old enough to know what they were, and I've never noticed it rotting either one. I keep mine in a metal drawer behind a cupboard door in my kitchen. There are people who swear it's gospel truth, though. I just smile and nod at those people. ;)

My parents had a garden, and we had literally bushel baskets full of both. We kept them in our basement "cold room" (no insulation, just cement walls, and insulated against the rest of the house) next to each other. Occasionally a few at the bottom of the baskets would rot, but not until well into winter.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:10 am

I keep them in a tall wooden pantry I lined with metal shelves. It is in my garage; and they do well, winter, and parts of springs and Fall. But most of the year, the garage can be over 100%. So inside is a must.

I usually keep them in a basket on my counter and they do well. But sometimes, I refrigerate, especially the onions. I just don't have the room.

But I have heard that the rumor is true, but I have never noticed it. When storing in the fridge. I do add the onions to a paper bag and the same with spuds. It seems to work.

goldngirl

Post by goldngirl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:30 am

Sue wrote:It's supposedly true, but I have kept a few potatoes and onions together in a bowl on my counter for a few days with no problems. I think the worst thing you can do is put either of them in the refrigerator because it makes the starch in potatoes convert to sugar and the higher humidity will rot onions faster.
The coolest trick is to use pantyhose to put onions in and twistie them off after each onion is added so they stay separate and then you can just cut off the onion you need.
Potatoes seems to like being stored in a paper bag in a cool dark place free of humidity or mold.
I don't buy so many onions or potatoes at a time that I don't use them up quickly, but I imagine people who garden them and have a crop will give the best advice on storing them for a few months.
Gardeners?

So it is true, well supposedly ;) thank you everyone for taking the time to post on my question, I knew I came to the right place with a food question :D

I love your stocking tip! :)

goldngirl

Post by goldngirl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:32 am

oops I posted under quote :oops:

So it is true, well supposedly thank you everyone for taking the time to post on my question, I knew I came to the right place with a food question

I love your stocking tip!

Chocolatl

Post by Chocolatl » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:22 pm

It is absolutely true; I lost a lot of good potatoes that way.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Plastic is probably the worst offender. That stuff has to go. I have no idea why they even package onions, potatoes and the worst-->mushrooms, in plastic. Seems like they would lose a lot of stock at the market before it is even sold.
Remove onions and potatoes from plastic bags as soon as you get home from the market, especially in warm weather. If you have far to drive in summer, consider tearing the package open to let air inside for the drive home, or try to keep some paper grocery bags in your trunk. Potatoes will sweat terribly in the heat.
Mushrooms not on topic, but if you don't like slimy mushrooms, get them out of the plastic/styro box and into a paper bag asap. Or just try to buy the mushrooms bulk, but that's not always an option, I know.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:24 am

I've never seen onions in a plastic bag, they always come in those mesh bags. And potatoes 99% of the time come in a paper bag. White or yellow potatoes, anyway...for some reason they always put red potatoes in plastic bags. But I always dump the potatoes into my bin when I get them home anyway no matter what bag they're sold in. The onions I leave in their mesh bag purely so they don't get lost among the potatoes. :lol: