What's Up Today

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

KittenCal

Re: What's Up Today

Post by KittenCal » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:38 am

Good morning Mary and all Zazzies!

60's?? ..Mary your teasing me! it's so cold here we have ice crystals in the air :?

I have some exciting news to post later today :!:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 am

Mid 70's, I got you beat! Football today!

Mary

Post by Mary » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:54 am

Not teasing, Kitten. Cooler than KC and Heather in Florida, but a LOT warmer than you are. My ice crystals are in a tall glass with liquid swirling around them.

KC, which team(s) are you following? Are you planning another watching party? I have such serious sports fans in the house that casual watchers may be asked to leave the room (or just be told to be quiet -- although not so politely). If it's not a game I'm interested in, I keep away from the TV set and simply deliver food occasionally. ;)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Usually I do have some friends over; we thought about it, but most of my friends don't work 9-5, so they work weekends. A couple were available, and a couple sick. So we figured we would wait for the big game. One may stop by later for game 2, but not sure. Regardless, I have enough for 2 plates. Since dinner is easy and would be all done; I'm sure he would bring a nice bottle of wine or something.

Favorites ... Baltimore and San Fran; but, I wouldn't be too upset at whoever wins.

And, usually my group is pretty good ... but they do have their favorites. That is why I always have 2 TV's going. They can gather with their groupies, lol.

Mary

Post by Mary » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:24 pm

Two TV's is a marvelous idea. Reminded me of a friend of a friend who has a superbowl open house of sorts. Entry fee is bring some food and drink and be prepared to have fun. They have a "man cave" in the whole garage (complete with couches, chairs, tables, stools and benches) with two TV's and another gathering place in their large family room. Small TV is on in the kitchen. Bedroom TV is set to the cartoon channel or has an age appropriate DVD going. 30-40 assorted fans of all ages (kids to grandparents) mingle, talk, cheer, and clean up. Sounds like chaos, but it all turns out well -- possibly because they are all neighbors who will see each other tomorrow and the next day and the next . . . . =-)

I could never manage all that, but I could work with two TV's.

Mary

Post by Mary » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Kittencal wrote: I have some exciting news to post later today :!:
And you can bet we'll be checking in to see if it's what we hope it is :!:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:35 pm

I'll stop by

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:36 pm

I used to have a big party like that with neighbors and friends. Had 4 TV's going. One for the gals who DON'T like football, 1 for the kids, DVR's and 2 for the adults. The big screen and the one on the lanai.

I grilled before the game; lots of ribs, chicken, burgers, sausage, dogs, etc. Everyone brought either a protein or main dish and beverage for 4. And I did most of the sides. A neighbor who helped me, was in charge of the plates, forks, napkins, chips, pretzels.

It was work, but fun. My then ex used to make deep fried mushrooms in the turkey fryer; and one neighbor always did 2 big pans of mac and cheese. There was about 40 of us.

Also, always do a sign up sheet so you know what people are bringing.

It was fun.

This year, the Superbowl ... is a Big Low Country Boil - done FL style with crab, shrimp, mussels, clams, and artichokes

elsie

Post by elsie » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Wow, lots of football fans here! Me, I don't like football. I do watch the super bowl only for the commercials, and how bad the half-time entertainment might be---take those singers out of the studio and they don't sound so good. :shock: :lol:

Today, it is nice and sunny, low 40’s so I am working on raking up gum balls in part of my back yard so we don’t stumble and twist our ankles walking to the bird feeders. Tomorrow is going to be a different story. It is supposed to get very very cold, not KittenCal cold, but cold! 31 below is damn cold, Kit, even for this "warm" menopausal gal. :lol:

Yancey

Post by Yancey » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:27 pm

Hello everyone! I'm off for a few days so I'm on a cooking spree!