What's Up Today

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

ellie

Re: What's Up Today

Post by ellie » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:45 am

Hope you are okay?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:11 am

The news reports out of B.C. are heartbreaking in regards to both the flooding and wild fires. Along with the absolute devastation and loss heavy smoke must cover most of the province. Have to hope it rains to prevent the fires from spreading as every thing must be tinder dry. Have to hope for rain and more rain. Thinking to all contending with the heat, smoke and wildfires, stay safe.

A cooler morning, got the sprinklers going before six to get a head start on keeping things growing. Once again more Alerts last night, heavy booming and light display but barely enough rain to wash the dust off vehicles. Remain thankful we missed hail and tornadoes. Hopefully a touch cooler today.

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:40 am

I am happyto say so far where I live in BC we have been spared severe flooding & wildfires but everything is tinder dry and one careless cigarette and Boom away she goes. They say that 40% of our wild fires have been human caused!!!
The fire in Lake Country that destroyed 8 homes was human caused!!! I can't think of punishment severe enough for the person responsible.

ImPat

Post by ImPat » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:49 pm

Here in Western Australia when we are on high fire alerts you are not even allowed to use power tools outside as they can spark and cause a fire which happened here a few years ago and many homes, business establishments, fruit crops, wild life and national forest was lost, the person responsible could not be charged as they had not put out the fire alert on the media and the person concerned did not know it was on and that was proven beyond doubt and it also let people know about this little known law for many of us did not know that it existed.

Pat

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:37 am

I don't understand if the didn't put out the first fire alert how that saved them.

ImPat

Post by ImPat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:52 am

Since they were too late in putting out the alert he had no knowledge that he was not supposed to use the angle grinder in the open (his property adjoined a national forest) and they were able to trace the start of the fire back to him but couldn't prosecute since by the time they put the alert out the fire was already raging. The insurance companies even tried suing him to get their money back for the homes and business's that made claims but that was thrown out of court. In the end the only ones who made any money out of the whole tragedy was the lawyers.

Pat

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 am

Ah now I understand.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:40 am

Really amazed to read that power tools can lead to wildfires Pat. Do know here on the prairies in the super dry years we had times grain trucks would see to small blazes but were so aware that always extra spades and shovels on hand. Prairie wild fires can quickly get out of hand but far easier to control than the forest fires.

Thankfully yesterday saw a return to a comfortable 90 degree day with a light breeze allowing for a great gardening time, and one lot hoses and sprinklers on the move. Hoping your temperatures ease your way Bergy. Rain would be good!

ImPat

Post by ImPat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:37 pm

Must admit the fires that really get me ropable though are those that are deliberately lit by arsonists.

Pat

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:49 am

I've thought about what punishment is suitable for these rotten apples and the first thing they should be made to do is to be put front line fire fighting the blaze they started but that would only be the first punishment before we string them up :) :) :) :) :) :)