Cilantro - what do you use as a substute?

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Gerry

Cilantro - what do you use as a substute?

Post by Gerry » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:11 pm

I love herbs and a cilantro lover as well, for dh and most of my family not a chance. It puzzled me as over the years for me never a soapy or off taste. One hears of the cilantro gene, if so it explains it but no matter the look on their faces leaves no doubt for them it tastes bad.

My question is for those of you having to leave out the cilantro what do you find is a good substitute? I add cilantro to my portions and for the main dish or salad I substitute with all parsley, or with Italian parsley. Any one else out there needing to substitute and what do you use?

lovinretirement

Re: Cilantro - what do you use as a substute?

Post by lovinretirement » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:26 pm

I don't know. Maybe some chopped basil?

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Depending on the dish...using basil as lovinretirement suggested and also mint or celery leaves. I have used leaves from my maggi plant that is very similar in taste to celery with wonderful results. ;)

59chevymom

Post by 59chevymom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:06 pm

I've never liked the flavor so I never buy or use it, I think it's used in lots of Mexican recipes

Sweetopia

Post by Sweetopia » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:16 pm

I've never bought cilantro and probably never will :)

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:20 pm

Gerry I absolutely hate cilantro :D
If you can eat, you can make it!

Sue

Post by Sue » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm

Parsley or something like snipped chives. Celery leaves are also an option.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Thank you, I’m liking all the suggestions, for some dishes basil as suggested by lovingretirment would work well, as would celery leaves as suggested by Patti. I did have to look up the maggi plant and found it was was the loverage plant I enjoyed in my county garden. It was great for potato soup! Must find a plant come spring.

Think for most part the recipes I was looking to, I may just go with all snipped parsley or half parsleyhalf/Italian parsely. I like Sue’s idea of snipped in chives. Basil, celery, maggi/loverage, Italian parsley and chives are all herbs enjoyed by all the family which gives me a number of subs for Cilantro. As for those who cannot abide the taste I can well understand as my family find it totally unacceptable, to them it tastes like soap!