Bought my first jar of anitpasto ...help!

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

59chevymom

Re: Bought my first jar of anitpasto ...help!

Post by 59chevymom » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Merry Christmas Gerry and to all!

jacirose

Post by jacirose » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:22 pm

I always thought it was an appetizer of different European style marinated vegetables tossed together, I think it means different things to different people. I have made this recipe in the past http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14278/anti ... sta-salad/

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:27 pm

To me, antipasto is just an Italian relish tray with charcuterie and maybe cheese added.
I'd put it out on a platter with maybe some crackers or slices of baguette with maybe some bread dipping oil (evoo & ital spices and salt) or some french mustard.
And wines, if you drink it.
Think Italian style tapas.
I'm not much on mixing it in other things like salads or cooking it. I generally would hand select the things for my antipasto and not buy it in jars. There's more control that way.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Another sampling has me deciding to not serve or cook with it, going to bite the bullet close my eyes and toss it! Thanks for all the suggestions but I just cant get past the taste of this jar of antipasto!

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:52 pm

Gerry wrote:Another sampling has me deciding to not serve or cook with it, going to bite the bullet close my eyes and toss it! Thanks for all the suggestions but I just cant get past the taste of this jar of antipasto!
That jar must have been mislabelled antipasto.
Should have said nastipasto. =))
I'll keep it in mind as a warning to never buy any.
#caveatemptor

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:53 pm

Sue wrote: That jar must have been mislabelled antipasto.
Should have said nastipasto. =))
I'll keep it in mind as a warning to never buy any.
#caveatemptor
Thank you for the lol Sue, so better to toss a jar than to also have to toss the planned chicken breasts as well! While I rarely make antipasto I do love the homemade. I'm sure there must be some good ones on the shelf but no never again! Okay maybe next year will give the Regina Farmers Market a go - it's all home made. :)