Bought my first jar of anitpasto ...help!

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

Gerry

Bought my first jar of anitpasto ...help!

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Being a touch behind today's quick shop saw me pick up a jar of antipasto for the holidays. My first off a shelf. After sampling it's hopefully someone here knows how to give it a semblance of homemade taste/or use it in cooking it will be tossed. Any ideas of what I could add? Thx!

Luvcookn

Re: Bought my first jar of anitpasto ...help!

Post by Luvcookn » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:51 pm

You could add: olive oil packed tuna, drained; capers, pickled onions, drizzle of a good extra virgin olive oil, pepperoncini, a wee bit of white wine vinegar to boop the taste and artichoke hearts . Or any combo of these might help.

If you are looking to up the sauce part...you can use: a wee bit of horseradish, garlic, lemon juice, cayenne pepper.

Hope this helps a wee bit Gerry! :D

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks Pati, I was not only disappointed but at a loss as to what would help! I do see some good possibilities and with the additions I could at least cook with it. I am sure most would be likely find it all good but once you are used to home made .... yes I was so disappointed!

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:36 am

I know what you mean Gerry...I make my own too. And have been gifted the store bought and like you...very disappointed. But with a wee bit of tweaking it can be palatable.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Gerry check this recipe out by QueenBea http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/antipa ... free-24841

I'm thinking you could add it to pasta sauce for a more intense flavor

Merry Christmas!
If you can eat, you can make it!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:58 am

depending on what is in it; more olives, capers, anchovies, lemon zest.

now I like to add it to chopped greens, like romaine and iceberg. add a little juice and you have a quick and easy salad. add fresh parm shavings. you can also add a few grape tomatoes too.
if the jar doest have cheese, add some feta or mozz.

grind it up, to make a dip for pita or baguettes

DanD

Post by DanD » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:22 pm

I would just pile it on some toasted baguette slices and enjoy it that way! :D

MsPia

Post by MsPia » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:32 pm

Oooh my!
For me antipasto it is a series of very small dishes served before the main dish (bite size). it could be anything, from cheese to octopus...
We are definitely talking about two different things. :shock: :shock: :shock:
What is antipasto for you guys??

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:10 pm

Thank you all for the great ideas! I will so not be serving it on my Christmas Eve Charcuterie board but will see to using it later! Admittedly disappointed as this year did not the time for homemade. Thanking you and wishing each of you and your families a very Happy Christmas! :)

59chevymom

Post by 59chevymom » Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:15 pm

I always thought antipasto was a bunch of strong salad ingredients together like marinated artichokes, brined olives, roasted red peppers and a bunch of others soaked in a oil and chopped up to pile on toasted bread or crackers, I think it could be really just about anything