"Fishy" fish

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

lovinretirement

"Fishy" fish

Post by lovinretirement » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm not much of a fish fan. I eat it about every other week, because it's good for me. But I don't like "fishy" tasting fish. So I took an old hint that my mom used to use when she made fish. She would always soak her fish in milk for a couple hours in the refrigerator. Then drain it and use it whatever way she chose to cook it. If it was going to be fried, she would drain it well and dry it off well with paper towels so it didn't spatter in the hot oil. And it didn't taste fishy.

QueenBea

Re: "Fishy" fish

Post by QueenBea » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:56 pm

That's an interesting trick, thx for sharing it :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:29 pm

That is something that lots of people do. Personally, I never have. But, many people swear it works.

Also, freshness of fish is KEY. If you can smell fish, not the ocean; it is OLD.
And, if fish is over cooked ... it can become fishy tasting as well.

Some people soak in a mix of salt, sugar, and water, about 1 cup to 2 T/2 T. Haven't tried that either; but, it is supposed to work.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:43 am

Kchurchill5 wrote:That is something that lots of people do. Personally, I never have. But, many people swear it works.

Also, freshness of fish is KEY. If you can smell fish, not the ocean; it is OLD.
And, if fish is over cooked ... it can become fishy tasting as well.

Some people soak in a mix of salt, sugar, and water, about 1 cup to 2 T/2 T. Haven't tried that either; but, it is supposed to work.
We can't get fresh fish here in Northeast Ohio, unless you go to Lake Erie and catch it yourself. And I'm not a fisherman. So it's soaking it in milk. I don't think I would try the salt, sugar, water method. Way too much sodium.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:16 pm

It's only a quick soak; and you do rinse it off. Believe it or not. Very little salt is absorbed. Many restaurants follow this method. Just thought I would share.

MakeItGood

Post by MakeItGood » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Thanks for that great tip! :)