What makes this site great - what needs to change?

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

KittenCal

Re: What makes this site great - what needs to change?

Post by KittenCal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:42 pm

Thank guys for all your suggestions, we have read every post here and we appreciate your in put..

We will continue to keep you updated, meanwhile continue posting here ;)
If you can eat, you can make it!

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Duck-Duck wrote:Well, I'm new here so I'm not "in love" yet, but I do like it here.
I used a site for years & years & years until they decided to "make improvements" that actually took away many of the great features here. The so-called "improvements" weren't improvements. It was just different - & not in a good way!
As for here, I'd like less pastel & gray. Yeah, really. It's pretty, but kinda bleh. Black, white, bright, bold colors are fresh-looking, easier to read - at least for me. A brighter background would help, too; but mainly the text.
If that "course" to "make it with" list were smaller, you could increase the size of other things or add something new on the opening page. I'd like it if the Forum were bigger. Once visitors know about it, many will return. You find new recipes & new friends there!
In my recipes, I'd like to see my rating as well as the member rating. I know I can do that in my review, but you did ask! Wink-wink! Alphabetical order would be a good feature, too - as well as being able to reverse it. It's a small, but big help - reversal.
I like being able to sort so many ways. It's a big-big-big help once recipes are up there in numbers. I like having page numbers, too. I know that sounds like an odd compliment, but that was one of the things we "lost" on the new site. You couldn't go back to where you were easily.
I like the note feature, too. I haven't used it yet, but if there is an option for notes to be private or not, I'd like that. I'm not keeping secrets there, just I'll read a bunch of reviews & keep notes about them there - or mention names about who liked, who didn't that wouldn't concern anyone else.
One kinda odd thing here is the having to add a note in each recipebook. 'Think the name should cover it. Hee-hee!
'Trying to be helpful. 'Hope I was! :-*
Welcome Duck-Duck!
We always appreciate input from new members, we thank you for taking the time and letting us know what your thoughts are, we have read your post, our design and tech team will go over everything that you (and all the posters) have requested.
We are glad to have you here as a member, feel free to post here again if there is anything you want to add ;)
If you can eat, you can make it!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:24 pm

I have always been impressed as to how smoothly this site works, the members needs always thought to, quick fixes when needed, great recipes, forums that give us community, have to love a site that offers all of this and more. Our photo forum and Billboard are awesome, make finding new recipes super easy. No secret I love Potluck and hope we eventually encourage members to participate and make our site one of the best for potluck events ... as well our library, good to see members sharing their favourite reads. Have to say I love this site and am sure any surprises coming our way will only enhance what we already have. :)

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:27 pm

... and yes to a like button! :)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:20 am

All of mine are just ideas. I know some are possible, some aren't. It is good AS IS; but, a few tweaks are also good if possible. Just keepin' up with the Jones, lol.

CookerKat

Post by CookerKat » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:44 pm

I can't think of anything but a Like button like Facebook has sure would be neat to have! :D

Duck-Duck

Post by Duck-Duck » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:13 pm

I'm jumpin in, both feet! 'Found recipes, made folders, etc! :) So now, I have more suggestions. I'd like to see more of the Forum & less of "Here's Our Newest". I enjoy here's our newest, but I'd rather click on those to read them so there's more space for other things. I'd like it if a list form were available instead of grid. Ya know what I mean? Rectangles like the forum rules vs recently viewed & top search shape.
On my profile page, the main thing I'm interested in would be my reviews, recipes & forum. Once I get my recipe count up, I'll be browsing it often. Right now, though, the mail, photos, shopping list, menu areas are just limiting what I want to see.
And when
they're like
this, it isn't
as easy to
read having
to go back rather than continue in a straight line. Am I being too nit-picky? I sure hope not. Everyone's been so nice & welcoming. I don't want to wear out my welcome while the mat's still fresh! :D
A "see all" would be nice with lots of features - recipebooks, reviews, etc. Then no "next page" would be necessary & we can skim over more at one time.
More space suggestions: Discontinue the quick reply. It isn't all that much quicker, but since it reposts, it fills the page with what we've already read. Maybe just omit the part about reposting the post would be better. I dunnoooo. :D
I'll stop now. Hee-hee! I have recipes to add! :)

Duck-Duck

Post by Duck-Duck » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:11 am

If we could comment to a post under that post, that would be good. Sometimes having to matchup a lower post with an earlier one is a li'l challenging. Maybe have the comment to a post indented a bit so it gets the posters attention.
I really like that dot that shows there's an unread post. No need to look, if you've already ready it.
For chat in our profile, I didn't see a way to delete. Instead of having each post be a new entry, how about letting them accumulate under one? I had a pretty good post about crushed tomatoes going. Now, I have four for that one post. Huh, how does that work? There were more than four members stopping in. Huh. :D

Duck-Duck

Post by Duck-Duck » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:34 am

'Hope I'm not being too "much" here. I kinda feel like I might be - considering I'm still new. :D ... 'Read over others' posts & agree with many. I, too,would like to be able to sort reviews - most helpful positive,most helpful negative (both are very helpful!), most recent, &, of course, by rating. I've been known to read fifty reviews & not think a thing of it. I want to know how it went for others so I'll know what to do or not do. That's where sorting really helps. I take a bit from the top, from the bottom, most helpful & not; my "expert" (wink-wink) opinion & I'm off to the kitchen! Ha-ha!
Asking us before doing is such a great idea! That's the way to keep us smiling! Thank you!

Duck-Duck

Post by Duck-Duck » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:14 pm

'Tired of seeing me yet?!? :D ... 'Ever notice that this recipe site doesn't have many photos of food on the opening page? Kinda odd, huh? Maybe instead of the Forum rules in red right there, you could asterisk it, & place a photo instead - season, holiday, sport, whatever-related - with, of course, recipes when clicked. :) Only thing close is that chef on the bottom right. 'Think she could be minimized, too. :D Although recipes are why visitors come, a photos & vibrant colors keep them interested. 'Not to say insanely large photos like another site has done, but ones that make ya think "That looks good!" or "Pretty!" or "Cute!" or "I have to make that!" Hee-hee!