Social Security Widows Benefits

Introduce Yourself to the community. Chat with other members, tell us what's currently on your mind! Got a food question? someone will be around to help you out.

Moderator: Admin-RZ

lovinretirement

Social Security Widows Benefits

Post by lovinretirement » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:36 am

I am not trying to be morbid, but I think this is very important information that every woman should know. My brother passed away recently, and since his widow was under 60 years old, she received NO widows benefits. Also, she never worked long enough in her life to earn her required 10 quarters of social security deductions from her paychecks to qualify for benefits, even when she's old enough to collect on them. She is unskilled and hasn't worked for many years, and has back problems, so it's unlikely she could find a job that would pay enough to keep her. She is losing her home and has to move in with her elderly father.
For all you young women who want to be stay-at-home mothers, first of all, I applaud you for that. But when your children are in school, it might be wise to get a job, so that, God forbid, anything should happen to your husband, you won't be left without benefits. You have to be at least 60 years old to receive widows benefits, or disabled and been diagnosed disabled at least 7 years prior to your husband's death.
Sorry to be so morbid this morning, but this is something most women don't know. Also this would apply to stay-at-home dad's.

DanD

Re: Social Security Widows Benefits

Post by DanD » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:37 pm

That sucks big time. I won`t go any further about the system I don`t want to boil my blood today, much needs changing.

KittenCal

Post by KittenCal » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:12 pm

OMG that is just terrible, here in Canada you automatically receive half of your partners pension when your partner dies no matter what age and no matter if you worked or not, at least in my province. Wow I am so sorry to hear this about your brother's death and the problems that is happening with his widow, will she get an old age pension at 65? here in Canada you can get it at 60 if you wanted to...
If you can eat, you can make it!

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:09 am

Kittencal wrote:OMG that is just terrible, here in Canada you automatically receive half of your partners pension when your partner dies no matter what age and no matter if you worked or not, at least in my province. Wow I am so sorry to hear this about your brother's death and the problems that is happening with his widow, will she get an old age pension at 65? here in Canada you can get it at 60 if you wanted to...
She might be able to collect on her husband's social security when she turns 65. But that's at least 12 years away. But since she hasn't worked long enough in her own lifetime, she won't be able to collect anything of what she would've gotten had she worked.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:28 am

You think it tis a mess now just wait and see....