Summer Bread Baking . . .

Drop in for tips and discussions about bread baking or do you have a bread baking question? Your in the right place!

Moderator: Galley_Wench

Galley_Wench

Summer Bread Baking . . .

Post by Galley_Wench » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:08 pm

What is everyone baking this summer? I tend to make more quick breads, muffins during the summer. This morning I made Sourdough English Muffins which works great during the summer since they're done on the griddle. Also mixed up a batch of Six Week Bran Muffins to have on hand for a quick breakfast!

elsie

Re: Summer Bread Baking . . .

Post by elsie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:59 pm

I love bread, Galley. For decades, I would make bread of some kind almost every other day. But now, my poor wrists can't take all the kneading like they use too. But yet, I still try to make some kind of homemade bread or dinner rolls at least once a week or so and freeze them. Wrists be damned! I'm making some bread. :lol: I know it heats up the house a bit in the summer, but we like fresh bread. I make muffins of all kinds to put in the freezer too. They are great for a quick breakfast or snack. I usually wait to make cinnamon rolls, doughnuts, and coffee cakes and other yeast pastries until later in the Fall. I don't know why...I just do. :lol:

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:29 pm

We love our homemade bread, and we go through alot of it. I make 10 loaves about every 2 weeks. I made a Fruit Buckle with Blueberries and Raspberries last week, but we just weren't eating it, so it ended up in the garbage. My older DD wants to bake, but I don't know what to make that will be eaten. Maybe some muffins or cookies.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:36 pm

Elsie wrote:I love bread, Galley. For decades, I would make bread of some kind almost every other day. But now, my poor wrists can't take all the kneading like they use too. But yet, I still try to make some kind of homemade bread or dinner rolls at least once a week or so and freeze them. Wrists be damned! I'm making some bread. :lol: I know it heats up the house a bit in the summer, but we like fresh bread. I make muffins of all kinds to put in the freezer too. They are great for a quick breakfast or snack. I usually wait to make cinnamon rolls, doughnuts, and coffee cakes and other yeast pastries until later in the Fall. I don't know why...I just do. :lol:
I know what you mean about the wrist . . . that's when I got into no knead breads and finally broke down and bought a KA mixer. Try some of the no-knead recipes, they are amazingly good (http://www.recipezazz.com/my-recipes?title=no)

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:57 am

Love my KitchenAid for making bread. I was ready to give up making bread because my shoulder buggered up from working as a cook. I told hubby I was going to have to stop making bread and his reply is he loves homemade bread, so I said I needed a KA to keep doing it. He tried his best and bought me a cheapo mixer, but I returned it and saved up and bought one.

This summer I mainly made bread, just my standard run of the mill white bread. We used lots because we were all home eating sandwiches everyday for lunch.

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:56 am

Glad to hear you got your KA . . . love mine too! Yesterday I tried one of the new Cooking Light Banana Bread recipes . . . what a flop! It was suppose to have swirl of hazelnut/chocolate (NUtela) through it, but it all fell to the bottom, so when I took the bread out of the pan it was like icing on the top. Think it would work better as muffins and dropping a dallop of Nutela mixture on the top and let it sink. Tasted good though!

crazyndncook

Post by crazyndncook » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:37 am

I made 12 loaves of Potato Bread last week, then later on in the week I made Carrot Cake. All with potatoes and carrots from my garden.

elsie

Post by elsie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:45 am

crazyndncook wrote:I made 12 loaves of Potato Bread last week, then later on in the week I made Carrot Cake. All with potatoes and carrots from my garden.

Fresh potatoes and carrots from your garden! 8-) Awesome! I bet your breads and cake tasted fresh and good! :D

HeatherFeather

Post by HeatherFeather » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:03 am

crazyndncook wrote:I made 12 loaves of Potato Bread last week, then later on in the week I made Carrot Cake. All with potatoes and carrots from my garden.
That sounds great! I make potato bread too, using a Herman potato starter I got from a former co-worker. I love potato bread! Carrot cake sounds good too. I'd love to be able to use veggies straight from my own garden. How lucky you are!

Galley_Wench

Post by Galley_Wench » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 am

Wonder why I didn't get this notice yesterday . . . oh well. Never tried potato bread have to put that on my to bake list. Herman Starter . . . I think that's what the first starter ever tried 35 years ago (in North Dakota). Is that the starter that used potato water?

Today I have to continue my bread baking. Have been using a firm starter method, that you mix the starter with a little flour and water and let it ferment for a few days in the fridge, then mix up the dough. Make three loaves. Today I'm going to make a jalapeno/cheese bread. Save the other loaves to bake later in the week.