Lemon Cucumbers

A unique and special online gallery where you can post your food photos as well as view other member's food photos, come and chat with our hosts for photo tips and advice

Moderators: Derf, Bergy, QueenBea

Dissie

Lemon Cucumbers

Post by Dissie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:13 pm

My mom found these at a local greenhouse. We were both excited to see what kind of veggie we would get. They are really pretty neat. Very light tasting, not as strong as regular cucumbers. Small enough, one person could easily sit down and eat one by themselves. We will look for them again next year!

And used in our salad for supper.

Has anyone else seen these before? I thought they were pretty unique.

Sue

Re: Lemon Cucumbers

Post by Sue » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Nice photos!
I would love to get those and grown them myself so I could harvest before the seeds got very big. I think they would be great halved with grape tomatoes. And those little round fresh mozzarella (pearl sized bocconcini.)
Are these something you van get plants or seed packets for? 8-)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:17 am

Nice pics Dis. I have had them before (from the farmers market); they are quite good.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:25 am

Sue wrote:Nice photos!
I would love to get those and grown them myself so I could harvest before the seeds got very big. I think they would be great halved with grape tomatoes. And those little round fresh mozzarella (pearl sized bocconcini.)
Are these something you van get plants or seed packets for? 8-)
We got them as plants not seeds. We didn't try them smaller, because the size is just like a lemon. We really liked them. Will look for them again next year.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:48 am

My camp neighbour has a greenhouse and she grows a few different kinds of cucumbers. She tries different varieties every year. I will have to show her this. Thx for sharing this here Dissie :P

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks Bea! I thought they were really neat too.

Sue, I found them on Burpee as seeds. Apparently they are an heirloom variety. We were really pleased with them, and we are getting quite a few from 2 plants!

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/cucumb ... =sh&catId=

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 am

Dissie we grow these every year - they do very well in our soil. I find that I have to peel them as the skin is a bit rough. Have you noticed that they are burpless? I agree lovely light flavour
They are called apple cucumbers as well as lemon. They grow so easy from seed - the trick is finding the seeds.

Love your photos and love your enthusiasm over finding them.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:31 pm

I will have to look for these next growing season, are they a bush cuc or trialing vine?

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:40 pm

They are a vine cucumber, but you can make them climb and they do quite well that way, we had them climb a trellis.

Yes Bergy, I have noticed that you don't get gas from them! Love that! I had never seen them until this year, we really like them! Will be looking for them again!

Chef shapeweaver

Post by Chef shapeweaver » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:36 pm

OH MY !!
How cute are those ? :lol: