Goodies I bought at the Amish Mkt

A unique and special online gallery where you can post your food photos as well as view other member's food photos, come and chat with our hosts for photo tips and advice

Moderators: Bergy, Derf, QueenBea

Dissie

Goodies I bought at the Amish Mkt

Post by Dissie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:59 pm

I just thought I would share here. I didn't edit the pics....just snapped some pics to show off my goodies! I love to visit it. Now, it is in a families basement, and you would have to know where to go to visit it, as they don't advertise and there isn't a sign, and you have to bring a flashlight to see what they have, but it is a good deal and fresh foods! They have eggs, butter and unpasteurized milk too if you want to buy it. This is part of what I got yesterday. I can't find this type of macaroni in any store. Those little thin elbows. Love them!

Dissie

Re: Goodies I bought at the Amish Mkt

Post by Dissie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:00 pm

I hope you can make out the labels. Can you guys get those thin macaroni noodles?

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:14 pm

Looks like you had a fun day! :)

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:13 pm

Wonderful purchases and if its Amish I'll bet you it is GOOD! The noodle/macaroni pasta looks interesting.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:28 am

Dis, we have a Amish community in sarasota. A street of a restaurant, veggie market, and store with meats, etc.

There is also, a couple of other stores in town. and, there is also a local farm which sells homemade cheese, fresh eggs and milk.

I get exactly what you get, same type of products, and love them. I have never seen that thin macaroni, which I love; but, not here. But, they do sell some great thick pasta, almost like pappardelle, but not - homemade.

The Amish communities and stores are fantastic. I hit their stores at least 1x per week. They always have my pickling cucumbers; and, they have some awesome homemade breads and deli meats - you can't get in the local stores.

Luvcookn

Post by Luvcookn » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:50 am

Oh Dissie...what wonderful finds! :D Everything looks marvellous.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:44 am

Ohio has the highest concentration of Amish in the country, so we have a lot of places to shop. Love going to their little local bulk stores. They usually carry all the things that the grocery store doesn't. I haven't really looked for the skinny macaroni, so I don't know if they carry it. Love, love, love their homemade bread! I can't ever seem to make it the way that they do. Great photos of what you got. Got me itchin' to go again.

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:55 am

I agree, lots of Amish in Ohio.
I usually see all kinds of different egg noodles, butter, cheeses, eggs, poultry and baked goods.
Besides the Amish, there are the Mennonites, who often set up at the street farm markets and sell anything and everything.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:49 am

I do have to say, their baking is amazing. Breads which I do love; but pies also.
I do love being able to get some soup, chicken or beef bases; herbs, they dry their own. Homemade cheese I love; and the farm eggs are fantastic.

Ours does sell fresh pasta too which is quite good. They also sell dumplings (which are frozen)

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:18 pm

We live near Lancaster , PA that has a high concentration of Amish. Where I am is mostly Menninite and we buy from both of them> We are also near the MD. border and often go into Hagerstown where there is a large Amish farmers market, there are other place near by with farmstands set up that we purchase from. Yes we get those type noodles also. We hought long ago that the Amish did not use all those petisides and chemicals in their farming, we were wrong, so we ask before we buy.
Nice purchases.