Arctic Char with Mayo and Dill

A unique and special online gallery where you can post your food photos as well as view other member's food photos, come and chat with our hosts for photo tips and advice

Moderators: Bergy, Derf, QueenBea

QueenBea

Arctic Char with Mayo and Dill

Post by QueenBea » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:30 pm

http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/arctic ... dill-28174 (new recipe)

Arctic Char is both a saltwater and freshwater fish found in deep icy waters way up north in Canada. It is very similar to trout and salmon.
As with most fish fresh ingredients are always best to use, but, the winters are so long the fresh ingredients run out fast. Here is a simple way to cook this tasty fish with dried herbs, spices and pantry items.

I was too hungry to take a plated photo, so just one quick snap from the pan ;)

Dissie

Re: Arctic Char with Mayo and Dill

Post by Dissie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:19 am

That sure looks lovely! I can't imagine what it tastes like as I hate salmon and love trout and have never thought they tasted any alike. Great pic Bea

Bergy

Post by Bergy » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:54 am

Yes Please! Looks so good.

A few years ago we could get Arctic char raised locally in a high ice cold mountain stream - it was fantastic, killed that morning. The flesh was so firm and the taste so sweet. Unfortunately they went broke and no more. It is, to me, right up there with Pickeral in terms of flavour and my favourites.

59chevymom

Post by 59chevymom » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Beautiful photo. I have never ever had that fish :o

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Dissie wrote:That sure looks lovely! I can't imagine what it tastes like as I hate salmon and love trout and have never thought they tasted any alike. Great pic Bea
I find them very similar Dissie. We have rainbow trout here and the color and consistency is very similar to salmon, but salmon does taste a wee bit stronger. The Arctic char is very similar to Rainbow Trout in consistency and color but tastes closer to salmon. If that makes sense :lol: :lol:

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:59 pm

Bergy wrote:Yes Please! Looks so good.

A few years ago we could get Arctic char raised locally in a high ice cold mountain stream - it was fantastic, killed that morning. The flesh was so firm and the taste so sweet. Unfortunately they went broke and no more. It is, to me, right up there with Pickeral in terms of flavour and my favourites.
I have never had it fresh from that day, it is usually a couple of days old before we get it here. I bet it is even better when it is that fresh.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 pm

59chevymom wrote:Beautiful photo. I have never ever had that fish :o
Thx Chevy, it is yum!!!