Caramelized Onions

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
lovinretirement

Caramelized Onions

Post by lovinretirement » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Help! I have tried every recipe, every method I've found. When I try to make caramelized onions, they get like "fried" and crisp, not soft, brown and sweet. I've tried using straight olive oil, or a mixture of olive oil and butter, I use a stainless steel skillet, heat on low, stir every 5 minutes so they don't burn. I slice the onions about 1/8" - 1/4" thick. I've added salt right away like some recipes call for; or added it after they brown like other recipes call for. I've added a little sugar like some call for. I've tried every method and recipe out there. But they never get like I see on TV. HELP! ~X(

Luvcookn

Re: Caramelized Onions

Post by Luvcookn » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:15 pm

I do not know if this helps...but this is what I do. I use a cast iron pan and preheat it on just below medium heat. Then I add the oil/butter...then the onions. I stir to oil all onions and turn the heat a wee bit lower and stir every few minutes. Then I turn the heat down to low and let them cook...stirring every so often until they are how I like them. The turn out nicely browned and wilty...mmmmm! The cast iron holds a more even heat than other pans I have used.

Hope this helps a wee bit. I am sure someone else might just come up with the perfect solution for you. :D

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:50 pm

Crock pot. http://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/crock- ... nions-9554
Works every time, and you only have to stir 1-2x.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:51 pm

In a regular pan. Salt, NO sugar right away. And, LOW heat, not medium or medium low, LOW. Slow is the only way.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks guys. I think I'll try the crock pot method next time. It seems the most likely to get the results I want without crisping them.
Sheila

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:01 pm

I do a big batch every time. I get 8 or so small snack bags. Perfect to freeze for burgers, dogs, pizzas, sandwiches, etc.

I'm doing a batch today as well; for a good friend who just had foot surgery. He is having some friends over for the superbowl; so, I'm am taking him a couple of things to help out. He's a big BBQ guy; so, he will eat all the onions in no time, lol.

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:16 pm

Learn from a master (browning onions about 40% of the way through, after a primer on knives)
http://youtu.be/dw0Ij1Fxgq4