Dried out Cheesy rice and broccoli casserole

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Dissie

Dried out Cheesy rice and broccoli casserole

Post by Dissie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:24 pm

We had to try to keep it warm and of course it dried after putting back in oven, what to do now with a whole pan of this? Its pretty dried out.

Deepster

Re: Dried out Cheesy rice and broccoli casserole

Post by Deepster » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:51 pm

Gosh, Dissie, that does sound like bad news. Sorry that happened to you! :( If I had that situation at hand, I'd probably try chopping the entire casserole up(add just a bit of water to rehydrate the rice) and make frittatas with it. I have done similar things before, and since I eat frittatas a couple of times a week I'd sure try that to salvage otherwise perfectly good food. I often use leftover rice, cheese, and whatever veggie is at hand so you've got good frittata items. I'd at least give it a try if it were my casserole. Maybe someone will come along with a better idea!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:47 am

I would freeze it in baggies and use it in soups ;)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:16 am

I'm with QB, I would try soup. You could add chicken, maybe some celery or onions to broth based soup; then, add the rice dish. Then, add a little cream; but, keep it mostly broth based. The rice and cheese should thicken up the soup nicely.

Also, the fritatta is another great idea. You can other veggies too

You could also use it as a stuffing in chicken breasts. Just moisten it up. I have a couple of rice stuffing mixes for chicken breasts.

LLKenzie

Post by LLKenzie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:42 am

That's a great soup waiting to happen :D just add some milk or milk and water, heat, add some other things if you want and enjoy! I always do that with leftover creamed casseroles ;)

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:17 am

Make patties with them, coat them in seasoned bread crumbs and fry them.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:39 pm

I was thinking of something like arancini which is kind of like lovinretirement's idea. Use a scoop to make little balls, roll in breadcrumbs and fry.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:13 am

Thanks so much for answering. I haven't done a thing with it yet, as we had another Thanksgiving today at my moms house. Talk about Thanksgiving overload! :lol:

I like all your ideas and am thinking of trying all of them. Its a full 9x13 pan. So there is a lot of it! ;)

I appreciate the help. I was thinking of adding more milk and trying to see if it perked up some, but your ideas sound great! So I will go with you guys! It was delicious before it dried out! :lol:

I did notice my son ate a big chunk of it today, he said it was fine covered in gravy! :lol: :lol: