making & freezing sausage quesstion

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
SouthernRose

making & freezing sausage quesstion

Post by SouthernRose » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:02 pm

i bought a pork butt on sale but was not ready to grind it to make sausage which is why i wanted it. I was wondering if i could thaw it out grind it and make the sausage and refreeze raw or would it be unsafe and should i cook it then freeze it back, I am making a cpl different kind dependin on the lbs and such but i wont cook it all or use it all at one time. i did not think about whether refreezing would be a probelm Thanks in advance for any advice and help you can give me

SouthernRose

KittenCal

Re: making & freezing sausage quesstion

Post by KittenCal » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:19 pm

hummm well I'm not sure I would say if you cooked it first then that would be okay, let's see what the other members have to say SR
If you can eat, you can make it!

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Hiya Southern Rose :)

I make sausage annually and thaw all the meat and put the sausage together then re freeze the raw sausages to cook at a later date. I have never been sick from it. It is safe to refreeze thawed raw meat, the consistency changes a bit but yup, good to go :mrgreen:

59chevymom

Post by 59chevymom » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:14 pm

I agree do as QueenBea says you should be fine ;)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:19 pm

Same here, done it many times. I'm not sure if I follow all the correct rules; but, have done it often. I don't make sausage now too much, just now and then; but, never had an issue. I think the main thing is to keep it chilled and don't let it get too warm before refreezing.

Otherwise, I think you would be fine.

deblevin

Post by deblevin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:23 pm

SouthernRose I've done it over and over again, the only really risky food is fish, once I thaw it I cook it, I never take chances with fish.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Good point; Although, I have frozen salmon after cooked and shrimp quiche after cooked too. But, I agree, fish is iffy. I probably shouldn't have.

deblevin

Post by deblevin » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:32 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:Good point; Although, I have frozen salmon after cooked and shrimp quiche after cooked too. But, I agree, fish is iffy. I probably shouldn't have.
yes fish is bad you can't leave it get even a little less than a really cold temp, oh after cooking sure fish freezes really great, salmon freezes awesome after it cooked, all fish is okay to freeze once it's cooked but not all fish freeze well some get mushy

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Very very true. I am always careful with any seafood.
Much different than poultry or beef.

SouthernRose

Post by SouthernRose » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:37 am

thank y'all so much. i was going to do that but then i got to thinking and wanted to be sure that it would be safe after all. I appreciate y'alls quick replies and help.