chili vinegar

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Dissie

chili vinegar

Post by Dissie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:44 pm

I read a recipe today for chili vinegar. Bea it is like your strawberry vinegar.

The recipe is really vague. It says to wash jalapenos and put in vinegar for 2 weeks, shaking daily. Does that mean whole jalapenos? NO cuts? Nothing to let the "hot" flavor out? Or will it penetrate the walls of the jala? I am going to do this, just wondering if I should puncture them a few times or what? I guess maybe the skins will give off flavor, but I didn't think the flavor was in the skins. HELP if you have ever done this!

Sue

Re: chili vinegar

Post by Sue » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:50 am

The vinegar will penetrate. It is like pickling whole jalapenos, which I would just do that, and you can use the brine as a jalapeno vinegar.
I have more often seen vinegars seasoned with dried and fresh small red chillies. Kind of like trappeys.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:53 pm

Dissie, I do add whole peppers to some of my pickle recipes to add heat and the flavour of the type of pepper I use and the heat is there without having to poke or pierce the peppers. I am looking forward to hearing all about this vinegar :twisted:

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks for the input ladies. OK then, I am going to start it today! It says the vinegar is good when making vinaigrettes. We shall see! ;)

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:50 am

Keep us posted Dissie ;)

Sue

Post by Sue » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:20 am

Dissie wrote:Thanks for the input ladies. OK then, I am going to start it today! It says the vinegar is good when making vinaigrettes. We shall see! ;)
I think it would be great in spicy marinades too that use vinegar, and also, if you make a Chinese dumpling dip with vinegar and soy sauce it sounds like a winner. There has to be a million uses for it! :)

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:58 am

Sue. this is day 2, I hope I don't have to throw it out. I asked around and most said, why would you want "hot" on a salad. We shall see. I think people like spice more than they know. Or else I will put down the drain, who knows? Might be great?! As I said earlier, we shall see!