Keeping Your Corn Fresh?

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Sue

Keeping Your Corn Fresh?

Post by Sue » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:18 am

Reading an issue of Epicurious magazine this morning and it has a tip that says "Don't check corn by peeling back the husk. This natural seal keeps corn fresh...yada yada"
Um, no. No. And no.

I do agree that corn should be kept in the husk until it is cooked and preferably asap. I like to buy corn where the farmer has just cut it out of his field, and living in a sea of corn right now as many do, I am sure most people can hope for that.
But as to not checking the corn.
*shaking head no*
And here is why I have to at least peek at the tip:

I buy organic when at all possible and this is the unpleasant commonality of that.
If you ever saw a brown rotten looking tip just inside of the husks, at the tip of the ear, there is or was an ear worm chomping away. Don't want him poking his head out to say hello while you are cooking the corn!
Ew!

Shadows1

Re: Keeping Your Corn Fresh?

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:55 pm

Just adds a little protein to your meal!

We pull back the husks before cooking to remove the silk, if we find one of these we remove it and cut off where the bugger was eating! Catapillars have to eat too!

Sue

Post by Sue » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:05 pm

Have you seen the thing where you don't have to pick off the silks?
Cut off the stem end after you cook it, give it a little squeeze and pull it right out from the bottom.
Someone on pinterest was microwaving theirs but I either oven roast it or do it on the grill.
But I always peek at the tip- don't buy the ones with worms or cobs with no kernels. I figure if I have to cut off bad parts, it ought to be half price, like the bruised produce or produce that is overripe.

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:45 pm

I usually open it just a little to see if there's any rotting or bugs, and to make sure that the kernels are developed clear to the end.
When my husband's grandfather used to grow and sell corn at the roadside, he would always lay it out on burlap under a shade tree, cover it with burlap and wet it down. That kept it fresh and juicy, without drying out in the hot sun. Hard to find those kind of farmers anymore.

Blinky

Post by Blinky » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:14 am

YUCK!!!!!!! I hate creepy crawlers in food :o

I once opened a bag of rice and there was a bunch of small bugs in it. Gives me chills :o :-S

I've got nothing against bugs but not in my food please [-X

Sue

Post by Sue » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:33 pm

Blinky wrote:YUCK!!!!!!! I hate creepy crawlers in food :o

I once opened a bag of rice and there was a bunch of small bugs in it. Gives me chills :o :-S

I've got nothing against bugs but not in my food please [-X
LOL

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:08 am

I always want to look at my corn while still in the husk. Don't want dried out corn or old and shriveled. I think that magazine is totally wrong!

RiversideLen

Post by RiversideLen » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:33 am

I've done the microwave in the husk trick, it works except it does leave just a little silk. I prefer to desilk it before cooking, I'll wrap it back in silk free husk and microwave it. If you're interested there are videos on youtube that demonstrate the microwave in the husk technique.

Sue

Post by Sue » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:31 am

RiversideLen wrote:I've done the microwave in the husk trick, it works except it does leave just a little silk. I prefer to desilk it before cooking, I'll wrap it back in silk free husk and microwave it. If you're interested there are videos on youtube that demonstrate the microwave in the husk technique.
I roast it in the husk without issues with the silks. There was some method to cut off the stem end and squeeze it out like toothpaste after it cooks and that works ok, but it is just as easy for me to peel back the husks. The only silks that try to stick on mine are the ones that got a little steamy and stick if the are wet/damp, but not many.