Nobody to cook for!!

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Axe

Nobody to cook for!!

Post by Axe » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:08 pm

I have no idea if this is an appropriate place to post this, so feel free to move this post to where it may belong.

So, I have done very little cooking lately. Our daughter is now married and moved away and DW works shift work, so half the time, it's just me. I'm really itching to get back at it, but I really don't have anyone left to cook for anymore.

Any ideas how I could find somebody who might appreciate a good meal once a week or so? I live in the country on a farm, so I guess that has been a bit of a factor in not just walking a hot meal over to the neighbour, etc.....

Any ideas would be helpful, as cooking is my favourite hobby. Or, at least, it was.....

Edit: Actually, now that I look at it, this should have been posted up in Zazz Chat I think.....

Kchurchill5

Re: Nobody to cook for!!

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:49 pm

Axe, for just being me - I cook for myself, but also 3 ladies. Now, I cook as a JOB, I get paid; but, there are many ways to work around this.
You can donate time, just cook for fun, or actually cook as a side type of income.

When I first started I found an add for a personal chef. I cooked for them 2x a week and delivered their meals. Then, it grew into 2, 3, and 4 clients; and, then catering - I had to get licensed and certified. So a few things changed.

When you first start, you can just deliver meals to those who need it - but ... beware. If someone ever got sick (I'm sure they wouldn't, but it can happen; they can sue you). Also, not cooking in a certified kitchen; you can get caught if filing taxes without proper certification.
Now every state if different.

If just for fun ... Check the newspaper ads; and also assisted homes. That is how I found mine.

I also volunteer at a shelter for battered womans, or some womens shelter 4x a year.

I was also part of a dinner club 3-4 yrs ago. I put ad add online in the area and the paper for those interested. I got 5 couples. 1x per month, sometimes 2x, we had a dinner party. We did each others home every time, so no one person was stuck. We had a theme; and everyone had a course to prepare. The wine, appie, salad, main, and dessert were all from that region ... or close to it. All the courses were added up and then divided, so no one person was stuck with the main bill. We often played a game or watched a movie similar to the area we ate from.
It was fun.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey Axe,

I'm not sure where you live, but here in Canada we have a program called Meals on Wheels. It is a volunteer program to help those people who are unable to cook for themselves. ie: elderly, ill, physically challenged, mentally challenged........

http://www.mealsonwheels.ca/

I'm sure there are programs like this in the US also. If not maybe you could start a local one in your area!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Axe, the ladies I cook for are all self sufficient, other than mobility. They go out, and are active but in their chairs; standing was the difficult part for them. Originally they were just looking for 1-2 meals per week. It sense has progressed.

Also, a friend of mine and I were part of a program he started a few years back. He selected a family in the community that needed help. Maybe a single Mom; A Mom or Dad overseas. The family was usually poor, struggling, lost their home, etc. He and I usually chose the Family. We sent them a letter, offering our help. We met with them; and got an idea of what they used, ate, and needed.

Now, we also helped out with some house hold items which they needed by shopping at the local dollar store, and thrift stores. And my friend had many connections in the community; so, he got appts for jobs, after school care, medical, and other items.
But, we primarily did food. We made up to 1 month worth of food for them. We delivered them every week.
This is something you could easily do just 1x/week for a few times; or just now and then.

It was fun to see the kids dig in to their favorite meal, or a big ice cream sundae with all the toppings. Maybe a big pan of lasagna; and some to freeze for later.
Also, I remember when we made them a steak and potato dinner. Just skirt steak; but, a treat for them - they were practically on the streets.
We also did breakfast sandwiches for their freezer, waffles they could heat up, etc.

That is what I have done with a few of my friends. This last program we did was no cost to them; just something we did. But between 2 people, it was very inexpensive, and like I said ... could be just a few dinners.

One time, they insisted we all eat together which was really fun. We invited them over to my house. The pool, kids got mini mocktails, adults wine, a good dinner; and we gave them a gift bag of food to take home.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I know all the ideas aren't exactly what you are looking for - but hopefully gives you some ideas of what you can do.
The church is also a great place to look for those who may need help and assistance.
And, in the process, you can make some really good NEW friends.

Axe

Post by Axe » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks for all the tips!

I totally forgot about the Meals On Wheels program. I'll definitely look that one up.

We've been toying with the "Dinner and a Movie" club idea too. I really like that one.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:01 am

Also and a card/game night is fun if you don't want to do movies. Just depends what the group likes.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:34 pm

Cook and freeze for future use if nothing else.

Dissie

Post by Dissie » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 pm

When both me and hubby were working the swing shift, we had to schedule our meals accordingly. I cooked out main big meal at noon. That way we could eat before we left for work. Could you do that for your wife? I have no idea what shift she works.