"Chefy" Tip of the Day - 11/24

Got a cooking question, tip or trick you would like to share? post here!
Forum rules
Attention! No posting of copyrighted recipes please. TY!
Kchurchill5

"Chefy" Tip of the Day - 11/24

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:07 am

Today is all about "Quick and Easy Vegetable Freezing!!"

No, this isn't about the 'traditional' blanching and freezing. This is all about the quick freeze; and yes ... it can be done.
--------------------------------------------------
Tomatoes ... freeze whole and skin on. NO blanching at all; simply add to a freezer bag. In fact, I like to double bag. 1 smaller bag for the tomatoes; and, then, into a large gallon bag. The skins come right off after they are thawed. And, NO ... not good for fresh salsa ... but, great for soups, stews, sauces, etc.

Peppers ... the same. Simply freeze in a freezer baggie or ziploc. You can roast the, saute, use in soups, sauces, etc.

Mushrooms ... YES, just freeze. And ... YES, they turn a little brown; but, not much. Perfect for soups, stews, sauces.

MY SEASONING BLEND ... My favorite; and, I keep it on hand ALL the time.
Now, you can buy this too at most local grocery stores, even a Walmart or Costco.

It is a mix of 1/2 onion; the other half, a mix of celery, red and green bell peppers. NO blanching, just chop and freeze.
I use this all the time.
When I need just a little onions and peppers, this is perfect. Just add a tablespoon or two - it is easier than using 1/4 red and green pepper and 1/2 onion. It is convenient and a perfect thing to have on hand.

I used it tonight in my stuffed acorn squash. Two (2) tablespoons with mushrooms, garlic, bread crumbs; made a perfect stuffing for my squash.
------------------------------------
Of course ...
naked corn cobs, mushroom stems, broccoli stems, onion peels, leek stems (all good to put in a large baggie for a VEGGIE stock or broth)