2017 What Are You Reading

MsPia

Re: 2017 What Are You Reading

Post by MsPia » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:29 am

Gerry, did you received Out Of Old Saskatchewan Kitchens’ by Amy Ehman?

Ellie, The Seventh Plague by James Rollins, was that part of a series of books? 4321: The Bone Labyrinth by Paul Auster is huge! 880 pages. :o

Shadows1, I was reading the reviews on Amazon about 1984 and one of them said " More pertinent today than ever." Pretty much the same as what you said. Actually, most of the resent reviews, agree with you.

I'm sticking to light reads. I had a crazy year and a little more craziness ahead, so for now...cozy mysteries and romantic comedies :lol:
But I really enjoy your reviews. Saving them on my Amazon wish list for when life gets back to normal (or semi-normal)
So, I finished "Murder in the South of France" by Susan Kiernan-Lewis and now I'm reading the second book on the series: Murder à la Carte.
Lots of food in both books :D . I'm loving it.

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Thinking to your recent post Pia, had me add Bookbub’s offerings ‘Before I Forget: Love, Hope, Help and Acceptance in our fight against Alzheimers’ "What an amazing couple and what an amazing book!  It is medically and scientifically accurate, and yet places this devastating disease in the context of a beautiful and intimate relationship. - Dr Davaid Satacher, former Surgeon General of the United States.” Only managed to get to a few chapters but suspect this book will not disappoint. Will get back with a review once read.

I did receive my copy ‘Out Of Old Saskatchewan Kitchens’ by Amy Ehman. Looking through it is much like going through a collection of old family cookbooks, more than pleased with this best seller. With my eye issues it does have me wishing for white instead of cream colored pages!

Gerry

Post by Gerry » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Shadows, your recommend of Lisa Hall’s ‘Between You and Me’ arrived this weekend and is now on my side table along with my reading glasses. Will get to the reading between the Men’s World Curling Finals, Bronze which just started sees U.S. playing Switzerland for the Bronze, tonight Canada plays Sweden for the Gold. Canada’s Gushue team has won 12 straight games in the Round Robin, Switzerland’s Edim curls a great game, should make for a some awesome curling for all curling fans!

As with you Shadows the current situation as it is had me too thinking to George Orwell’s ‘Nineteen Eighty Four’ a book I read back in grade school. Saw me over to Amazon, surprised to see an e copy available, have a copy stashed in my Cloud Reader collection.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:54 pm

Just finished " While You Were Sleeping" by Katherine Croft, very interesting mystery, well written. I can't say any more then a woman wakes up naked in bed next to her dead neighbor ... read it!

Am currently reading "Life and Other Near Death Experiences" by Camille Pagan.
This one is very well written and has me reading well past the time I should be asleep1
It is about how a woman is dealing with a recent diagnosis of cancer and some other life changing revelations.

MsPia

Post by MsPia » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:27 pm

"Life and Other Near Death Experiences" by Camille Pagan has tons of great reviews. Can't wait to hear your opinion when you are done Shadows.
I'm still with my series. Loving it. Finished Murder in Provence and just started #4: Murder in Paris. It's described as: Light culinary cozy mystery, woman amateur sleuth, cozy animal (dog). :D

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:18 am

MsPia wrote:"Life and Other Near Death Experiences" by Camille Pagan has tons of great reviews. Can't wait to hear your opinion when you are done Shadows.
Finished it at 2 am Mia. it is as good as all the reviews say. Sure made me think.
The writing is smooth and flows well from page to page. I normally don't like this kind of book but thought I would give it a try and I am glad I did. Interesting how the dynamics of friends and family deal with her troubles. I like the way it ends as well, does not leave you hanging. I bet you will enjoy it Mia! :D

MsPia

Post by MsPia » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:50 pm

Thank you Shadows1. Just added to my Amazon wish list :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just finished book#4, Murder in Paris and ready to re read #5, Murder in Aix. Which is the first one I read from this series. You can totally read just one book, with out being lost.

MsPia

Post by MsPia » Thu May 11, 2017 6:44 pm

Hi.
This year I discover an author that I liked very much, Sara Alexi, and I just got an email that her book "The Illegal Gardener" is free right now on Amazon. That was the first book I read from her.
Here is the link, just in case some one is interested:
https://www.amazon.com/books/dp/B008LMT ... =sarale-21
I

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:47 pm

I have not posted any books here for awhile, I have been reading end of the world as we know it "prepper" books of which there does not seem to be any interest here.
I am going to be starting some police procedurals and mystery books tonite and the next several days, will post them as I finish them.

Shadows1

Post by Shadows1 » Wed May 17, 2017 11:38 am

Just finished " Kill Me Again" by Rachel Abbot. Not her best but worth a read.
A murder mystery in the English style of writing. Kept me reading until the end.