Start of Canning Season

Moderator: Axe

crazyndncook

Start of Canning Season

Post by crazyndncook » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:31 am

I am happy. I got a early start to canning season. I was finally able to get June Strawberries. It has been a few years since I has time/energy to get them. I normally get strawberries in the smaller late July harvest. I picked up 20 lbs after work. I made 2 batches Strawberry Freezer Jam. I have plans on a Glazed Strawberry Pie then probably freeze what we don't eat. The temperature was over 35 C today. So I am just not up to canning anything right now.

Kchurchill5

Re: Start of Canning Season

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:43 am

I have to admit ... I don't do any traditional canning ... but, I did make 6 jars of freezer jam. Three (3) for me and, 3 for friends. Also, I did freeze a couple of bags for smoothies or margaritas.

Also, just made another batch of my refrigerator pickles which I keep on hand all the time.

And, tomatoes are pouring in along with a mix of peppers. I am sure I will make a couple of bags for the freezer.

I plan on making pickled jalapenos too.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:51 am

How nice to have an early start crazyndncook 8-) Wow 35 degrees :o I wouldn't be up to canning in that weather either, lol.

Kim how nice of you to share with friends :P Do you have a recipe for the frozen margaritas?? That would be great for me to keep at camp!!

Our strawberry season starts more towards the end of June to mid July. I still have quite a bit of frozen strawberries left so I might not pick any this year :shock:

My tomato plants have not even floured yet so I don't know how they will do. We have had so many cold nights and loads of rain....

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:09 pm

QB, here is my version of a frozen margarita.
It can be virgin or not, lol.

1 lb whole fresh strawberries, stems remove
2/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/4-1/3 cup agave
1/4 triple sec or any orange liquor
1 cup tequila

Throw the strawberries lime juice (or concentrate), triple sec in a bag and freeze.

When needed, add to a blender with the tequila and blend. The frozen berries act like ice cubes.
If you like virgin, you can add a little OJ, water, and blend. Then, add a little sparkling water to finish the virgin ones.

And, also add the agave to taste, depending on how sweet the berries are.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:42 pm

Thx a bunch Kim, that sounds awesome. I will be making some very soon.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:30 pm

It is really easy; and, I make up small bags; Then, just break up with a meat mallet or a heavy pot; and throw in the blender.

I do this with mango and papaya too; especially for parties. Just make ahead; and easy to blend up.

Also good with rum as well or even pineapple juice for virgin.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:08 pm

YUM, you are giving me some great ideas!!! I might need detox at the end of the summer season :lol: :lol:

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:17 pm

One more for you. I have made these many times for beach/pool parties

1 big cup of fresh strawberries, rough chopped
1 can (14 oz) can coconut milk (not cream or water)
1 cup fresh pineapple, rough chopped
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
sweeten to taste, use your favorite

To make it adult ... add a bit less coconut milk and add dark rum.
I even find, just adding rum without cutting back on the milk; it still freezes fine.

Add everything to a blender and pulse until smooth. Add to small paper cups. When, slightly frozen, add sticks

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:25 pm

One more I have made. I think this was from a Sargento Cheese Site. I just saved it and made them a few times. Everyone loved them. I added a little grand manier to mine. You could also add an almond or vanilla extract too.

1 pint fresh strawberries, stems removed and rough chopped
2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
1/4 cup sugar, or any substitute to taste
1 tablespoon fresh lemon or orange juice
Add any additional flavor

Blend and add to small paper cups and freeze. When firm, insert the sticks.

QueenBea

Post by QueenBea » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:41 pm

OMG Kim, you are contributing to my nasty summer habit, hahahaha... I will be copying all of these down to make soon.