WHAT'S FOR DINNER - NOVEMBER 2013

Not sure what to make for dinner? Find out what member's have on their menu for tonight, it's a great way to pick up meal ideas
Chef shapeweaver

Re: WHAT'S FOR DINNER - NOVEMBER 2013

Post by Chef shapeweaver » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Tonight's Dinner:
Country Fried Pork Steaks seasoned w/
#recipe7168 and made into sandwiches.
And as a side, French Fries.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:50 pm

John Mayer today, so on the clock all day with catering. Dinner was some kind of steak medallions in a brown gravy, roasted Brussels sprouts, "green and grains" (not sure what it was exactly, but it was kinda like savory rice pudding with greens in it), rosemary roasted potatoes, salad bar, and chocolate layer cake for dessert.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:27 pm

I had a salvage meal just now. Quite honestly, I prepared a casserole a few days ago that turned out much to my dislike....one of those hash brown/ham/cream of soup casseroles. I have been trying to get rid of it without tossing it for the past 4 days. Today, thankfully, I had a "refrigerator find"....half a cabbage that was still good. I chopped cabbage, sautéed it in a bit of bacon grease, added a healthy serving of the casserole, AND, it was actually a great meal, kinda like colcannon. I had wasted too many bad frittatas trying to use up the casserole.
Later, I'll do more cabbage, put the remains of the casserole in it, and freezer bag it in portions. I really didn't want to toss so much food, so I'm glad this worked out!!!!!!

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 pm

Sounds like everyone had a great dinner. Deepster, nice makeover.
I ended up with the rest of my sausage soup; cheese and crackers, some fruit, and I was fine.

I did have a poached egg and toast to start off the day; so, plenty for me.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:58 am

A Very Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Today's Cooking ... What Else?

The turkey breast is brining, then a herb butter under the skin; classic herb stuffing w/celery, onions, and I add mushrooms and grated granny smith apples; mashed potatoes, I add a little sweet potato to mine along with butter and chicken broth; fresh cranberry sauce with orange zest, and grand manier; gravy of course ... and the infamous green bean casserole.

My ham - I'm going to hold off and make tomorrow to enjoy with the leftovers.

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Since I decided not to go to the neighborly gathering today, I am doing oven BBQ chicken(cooking now), baked potato with broccoli, sour cream, cheese and carrot salad. Trust me, this was a wise choice as one of the dinner participants is 91 years old, still spunky, and SOOO diametrically opposite of me in political thinking that by now I would be suffering severe indigestion, a headache and wondering how someone of her years can be so stupid.....sorry to be so blunt, but it's a fact ;) ;) ;) :( :(

I have a blazing fire, all the comforts of home and have missed the aforementioned misery 8-) 8-) 8-)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:50 pm

I'm quite content by myself as well. Turkey is almost done; the stuffing and beans in after that. The rest. Ready to go. I'm starving !!! But, I snacked today on my dip, enjoyed a relaxing day at home. Nothing wrong with that.

I have a fire as well ... Kitties love it.

Felix4067

Post by Felix4067 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:13 pm

My sister outdid herself! Turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes (made with a few cloves of garlic added while they boiled and mashed in, then half butter and half cream cheese with milk for mashing), her cranberry relish (which I need the recipe for but keep forgetting to get), she used my version of #recipe3027, also #recipe3702, and Pillsbury crescent rolls. I made #recipe2467 (which may not show up as I'm adding pictures and doing some minor editing tomorrow), and mom made her pumpkin pie. There was also a chocolate pie because my niece hates pumpkin. And I think maybe my brother-in-law had a single glass of wine, but my sister and I polished off both bottles. :lol:

Deepster

Post by Deepster » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Sounds like a nice family time, Felix, and some great food and wine to boot ;) ;)

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:23 pm

I agree Deepster, sounds like a nice meal Felix. Gobble Gobble.
I wasn't thrilled with my FRESH butterball turkey breast. SO SO. I will get my cheaper Walmart of Publix brand (whatever) whole turkey any time. I got a good price; but decided the breast for just me, since I am having turkey again on Sun, and probably bringing more home. I still have a bone for soup; but NOT again - I prefer the whole guy

My son stopped by tonight, instead of in the am. Took almost all my green bean casserole and most of the turkey and spuds for he and his friend. So, I don't have much of anything left. So much for my leftover plans.

I hope everyone had a nice day.