What WAS on Your Plate & WHAT'S for Dinner 10/19-10/20

Not sure what to make for dinner? Find out what member's have on their menu for tonight, it's a great way to pick up meal ideas
Kchurchill5

What WAS on Your Plate & WHAT'S for Dinner 10/19-10/20

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:40 am

HUMP DAY! ABOUT TIME ...
Yesterday was Crazy - Hoping Today is a Bit Easier!

Today's Cooking ...
Lady #2 and #3: Individual Greek meatloafs stuffed in pepper rings (new recipe); mashed potatoes; mixed lima beans w/peas and shallots
Me: Hot dog w/chili (freezer stash), chips, pickle

Sometimes ... a hot dog just what is needed!

Kchurchill5

Re: What WAS on Your Plate & WHAT'S for Dinner 10/19-10/20

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:40 am

Don't Forget to Check Back Tomorrow to Continue this Thread!
Happy Cooking Everyone!

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:21 pm

Last night it was beef tips with mushrooms, onions, green peppers, garlic and a rich brown gravy over noodles.
Tonight it's rotisserie chicken. And I think I'll save the carcass to make bone stock.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Lovin, sounds good.
Have you ever made stock in the crock pot. NOT bone stock. But, I put the carcass; and even some skin back in a crock pot with water. You can add onion or celery too or not. Let it go a good 8-12 hours. OVER NIGHT. In the am, OMG, the best rich broth. Just cool strain and freeze for later.
Never made bone stock; that is the closest I come to it.

BettyB

Post by BettyB » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:09 pm

I'm making a roasted chicken tonight with scalloped potatoes, I'm not sure on the veg yet :? Have a great Wednesday dinner everyone!

lovinretirement

Post by lovinretirement » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:37 pm

Kchurchill5 wrote:Lovin, sounds good.
Have you ever made stock in the crock pot. NOT bone stock. But, I put the carcass; and even some skin back in a crock pot with water. You can add onion or celery too or not. Let it go a good 8-12 hours. OVER NIGHT. In the am, OMG, the best rich broth. Just cool strain and freeze for later.
I never made bone stock before either; at least not roasted bones. I always cooked my chicken parts in a large stock pot with celery, carrots, onions and a bouquet garni with thyme sprigs, rosemary, and black pepper corns. (I never add salt to my stock, so I can add salt when I make my recipes with the stock). When the chicken is done, I take it out, remove all the meat, then put the bones back in and continue to cook for about 2 more hours. Then I strain everything out and continue to cook the stock till it's about 1/2 the volume to concentrate the flavor.
I've never done it in a crock pot, because I usually make enough for about 5 quarts. Then I put it in mason jars (leaving 2" head room), put the jar in zip lock bags just to be safe, and freeze them.

Sue

Post by Sue » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:23 pm

We had grilled steaks yesterday with some of my homemade steak sauce, and also jacket potatoes with a loaded potato topper. Lunch today was some leftover pizza from takeout that I had froze the extra. Wasn't that thrilled with it. I always like pizza better fresh. Tonight I am making pumpkin soup with chicken. Probably steam off some broccoli for that as a side. And French bread. And beer. Haven't started on it yet- still trying to get a cake done. Also redid an old recipe for pb pumpkins and blogged it, and worked on a cheese ball recipe for December.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:28 pm

lovinretirement wrote:
Kchurchill5 wrote:Lovin, sounds good.
I never made bone stock before either; at least not roasted bones. I always cooked my chicken parts in a large stock pot with celery, carrots, onions and a bouquet garni with thyme sprigs, rosemary, and black pepper corns. (I never add salt to my stock, so I can add salt when I make my recipes with the stock). When the chicken is done, I take it out, remove all the meat, then put the bones back in and continue to cook for about 2 more hours. Then I strain everything out and continue to cook the stock till it's about 1/2 the volume to concentrate the flavor.
I've never done it in a crock pot, because I usually make enough for about 5 quarts. Then I put it in mason jars (leaving 2" head room), put the jar in zip lock bags just to be safe, and freeze them.
Very close to what I do. I usually cook 2 chicken, small ones; remove the meat and freeze in small baggies. Then, like you make the stock/broth.

I use my big oval cooker and fill it up. Don't get quite that much, but, petty close. I have had bone broth; and, it was very good and rich.
Last time I filled like 10 qt bags and frozen them flat on a sheet pan. Then, stacked them standing up in the freezer. I also did some larger mason jars too. Sounds like we have the same plan.
Great to have homemade stock or broth, so good.

Kchurchill5

Post by Kchurchill5 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Sue wrote:We had grilled steaks yesterday with some of my homemade steak sauce, and also jacket potatoes with a loaded potato topper. Lunch today was some leftover pizza from takeout that I had froze the extra. Wasn't that thrilled with it. I always like pizza better fresh. Tonight I am making pumpkin soup with chicken. Probably steam off some broccoli for that as a side. And French bread. And beer. Haven't started on it yet- still trying to get a cake done. Also redid an old recipe for pb pumpkins and blogged it, and worked on a cheese ball recipe for December.
So, more productive than me. Wow, everything sounds delicious. FYI, I am definitely a leftover COLD pizza gal, lol.
The pumpkin soup sounds really good. This time of year, it is perfect.

AnnaBella28

Post by AnnaBella28 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:54 pm

Baked chicken thighs and couscous :D